Revolution…

School lunch seems to be a hot topic these days.  I think much of the buzz about school lunch program in the United States stems from Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution… a TV program that reveals the travesty that exists in the nutritional quality of the lunches being served in a lot of public schools around the country.  The issue is so big and so troubled but I do believe that as parents become more and more informed about how food is affecting their children’s health and behavior there will be an increasing demand for change.  I recently stumbled across this video of Robyn O’Brien explaining why there has been an alarming increase in the number of kids diagnosed with food allergies since 1997.  She does a wonderful job of explaining the  correlation between synthetic proteins and the rising number of allergy, cancer and diabetes diagnoses among children in the United States!  If you have 18 minutes to spare this is WELL worth watching.

Yesterday  a school in Chicago is banning kids from taking cold lunch to school.  It’s not very often that my feathers get ruffled but this news story sure did the trick.  The school board claims school lunch is healthier than the cold lunches most students are bringing into the school.  This to me is absurd!  Taking away a parent’s right to choose what we believe is best for our children is ludicrous.  Having said that, I’m thankful for this news story because it seems to have people talking about food and nutrition.  My Facebook friends were up in arms over this topic yesterday .  I can only hope this encourages people to take a closer look at the quality of food being served in public schools and energizes them to call for change.

The second season of Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution premiers tonight at 8/7 c on ABC and I simply cannot wait to see what this season brings!  If you’re interested in the topic of school lunch this is definitely a show you don’t want to miss!

Today’s “revolution” lunch includes:  roast beef and cheese robot sandwich with yellow pepper, olive and cucumber accents, blackberries, strawberries, pea pods, almond flour blueberry muffin

This entry was posted in characters, General, health statistics, themed lunches and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Revolution…

1. Heidi says:

Hi there! Great article! Would you by any chance have a link to the video in regards to the food allergies? I would love to watch it. Thanks again for another great blog!

Hi Heidi- You can click right on the photo under the information about Robyn and it will start playing the video. I hope that helps!

2. Holly says:

Wow, what a great post! I loved that video and it really spoke to me. I am currently trying to revamp the eating habits of myself and my husband. He is not quite as eager as I am though! We are taking on a clean eating lifestyle where we make things from scratch and eat as little processed food as possible, usually none. We have given up refined sugar and are in the process of getting rid of gluten. I just feel so much better without gluten, and with natural foods. It is so sad to think about how much easier and cheaper it is to live on horrible food, but I am tired of feeling like crud all the time, you know?!

On that note I absolutely love that you are posting these great lunches. I think starting kids young, getting them use to healthier food choices and showing them it can still be fun is exactly what this country needs!

That school banning lunches shocked me. When I was in school I brought my own lunch specifically because I thought the food at school was less healthy and because as a teen I honestly didn’t trust what they put in that food. To think a school actually thinks they are doing better than a parent, it irks me!

3. Pingback: Read this. Its important. « Our Hearts. Our Love.

4. Jenelle says:

And… it’s National robotics week! Perfect timing :)

5. Frannie says:

I just love your blog! A friend mentioned it to me because she knows that how I feed my kids is very important to me. I have to say you’ve opened my eyes to the fun aspect of it. My son is 6 and ‘gets it’ and we’ve had discussions about why I pack his lunch and why healthy food is important but I know if I stepped it up the way you have, then I hopefully could get him to try even more foods. What kind of containers are you using?

6. Wayne says:

Have you ever thought about creating an e-book
    or guest authoring on other sites? I have a blog based upon on the same ideas you
    discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information.
    I know my audience would appreciate your work.
    If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e mail.