Snow…

<Cue “It’s Raining, It’s Pouring” music>  “It’s not raining, it’s snowing and we are just ignoring…”  Yes, that’s right…it’s SNOWING here in Wisconsin on the 2oth of April!  This winter has been brutal to say the very least and my boys are definitely over the snow.  They used to get so excited when they woke up to a fresh blanket of snow on the ground.  These days, on the other hand, they just moan, groan and mumble about how all they want to do is play ball in the grass and ride their bikes without their snow gear on…I can’t say that I blame them!  This morning I tried to make a game of it by singing my own little version of the “It’s raining, It’s pouring” song with my own little twist.  As you can see from the lyrics above I was encouraging the boys just to ignore the snow.  Instead I said that today we should imagine that we are far, far away somewhere nice and toasty warm.  The boys decided we should be in Mexico!  It sounded good to me, so that’s where we are in our imaginary world today…we are sitting on a warm beach in Mexico with the sun beating down on us right this second.  I think our little birdie friend wishes he could join us, but I think he’s at least thankful we’re providing him with his own little lunch.

Before I get to today’s lunch I put together for our little Mexican vacation I want to take a second to talk about last night’s episode of Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution.  One of the main themes running throughout this episode was the current epidemic of Type II diabetes in the United States.  Remember this post where I explained that 1 in 3 children born in the U.S. after the year 2000 will be diagnosed with Type II diabetes before they are 50 years old.  Watching his show last night and seeing how much resistance he’s being met with by the L.A. public school district makes me wonder just how much sugar and other junk is packed into those school lunches?!  It’s a scary thought!

O.k…back to today’s Mexican-themed lunch includes:  homemade taco cups (instructions below), taco meat (grass fed beef & Trader Joe’s taco seasoning mix which is gluten free for anyone with gluten allergies), taco fixings, cajun cheese curds, strawberries.

This lunch is packed in a large Lock and Lock box and 4 small Lock and Lock trays and the taco meat is in this Thermos which is the best one I’ve found to keep food warm!  Here’s a little trick I use for keeping food from spilling during transport.  I fold up a napkin and place it on top of the food that doesn’t sit close enough to the top of the lid to keep it from spilling.  This tends to do a pretty good job of keeping food in place.

Taco cup tutorial:

1) Use tortilla of choice (I prefer Joseph’s Flax, Oat Bran & Wheat Flour Tortillas)

2) Use a circle cookie cutter or biscuit cutter to cut the tortilla

3) Place the circles into a mini muffin tin and spritz with olive oil and sea salt

4) Bake for 7-9 minutes at 350 or until cups are crispy

This entry was posted in General, recipes, seasons, themed lunches and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Snow…

1. Teresa says:

You are AMAZING! When you publish all this great lunches and photos in a book I will be buying it!!

2. Kim Townsend says:

Snow? Oh my goodness! Spring hurry up!!! <3

3. Donna P says:

Oh, one thing all my kids will eat is tacos. LOVE this idea for the taco shells. And we love TJs taco seasoning too….little goes a long way.

Should also mention that you inspired me and I picked up some silicone baking cups at World Market today. Used my $10 off $30 coupon, so it was like getting them FREE!

4. October says:

SNOW???? Can you send it down to Texas? Seriously…yesterday it was 92 and today it will be the same. High humidity so you walk outside and it almost takes your breath away. Not to mention the lack of rain across the state (esp. in the SE) and the fires in the west. :)

5. Natalie says:

This is such a great idea! :) Due to my life’s circumstances…I stopped my life with my 3 little little boys to move in with my mom diagnosed with brain cancer in February. We are home sick and deprived of a few things to say the least. But, I am so happy to have found this blog!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! It gives me something fun to do as a mother for my boys to put a smile on their face!

Could you please tell me where to find those lunch kits???? Would love to purchase some :)
    Thanks again!

6. Carolyn Haines says:

Oh my goodness. I love your blog. You have so many fabulous ideas. I’m constantly inspired to create wonderful lunches for my boys. Please keep it up.

7. Love those mini taco shells! Definitely need to try this with my daughter’s lunch. We are vegetarians, though, so I may do tofu tacos instead! What a yummy lunch!

8. Amanda says:

Such a great idea! I’ll have to give it a try!

9. Nikki says:

This looks delish! and i LOVE my Lock & Lock containers!!!

10. Amber La Mons says:

Which lunch box is shown in the picture?

11. Melinda says:

Is that a mini muffin tin you used to bake the tortillas in? Thanks!

12. angie says:

love this and best of all the teens will love it as well thanks

13. connie says:

What cute ideas, makes me wish I had small children still to make a lunch for.

14. Jennifer says:

What a cute idea! I am always looking for new ideas.

15. Jola says:

Wow! What a cool idea! Love it!

16. Delia says:

I am always concerned with keeping meats cold. Would a little ice pack keep the meat safe? Thanks great ideas!!

17. Courtney says:

What size circle did you use?

18. Marcie says:

Love this idea! My daughter is gluten free, so one idea to replace the wraps would be to pack corn tortilla chips. Scoops might be good!

19. Pingback: Cool school lunch box ideas | got2havefaith

20. Sarah says:

What a great idea! Love this!

21. Pingback: 25 Back to School Lunchbox Ideas & Printables