Monday Mornings: Volume 2

Welcome to another addition of Monday Mornings here on This Lunch Rox!  Today’s breakfast features one of my boys’ all-time favorite breakfast treats…blueberry muffins.  I found the original recipe for the muffins from a web-site called Comfy Belly which I think a lot of you might find useful based on the number of people out there who have written to me about specific allergies.  If you click on her site you’ll see that she has recipes categorized by allergy (gluten-free, nut-free, egg-free, lactose-free, etc…)  My boys love muffins so I adapted this recipe as follows:

• 1/4 cup sugar-free honey (can be found at Nature’s Hollow)
  • 3 tablespoons of butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 very ripe bananas
  • 3/4 teaspoon of aluminum-free baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 2 1/2 cups of almond flour
  • 1 cup blueberries
  1. Preheat oven to 310 degrees F.
  2. Mix all wet ingredients together in a bowl until well blended (with the exception of the blueberries)
  3. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
  4. Fold in the blueberries.
  5. Add muffin liners to a muffin baking pan, and then add batter to each liner.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from a muffin.

I typically make a batch of these and freeze them and pull them out as needed.  They are great for breakfast, snack or even as a side at lunch or dinner.  Because they are low in sugar and high in protein they keep the kids feeling satisfied and full much longer than they would with a piece of toast or other pastry.

This entry was posted in Breakfast and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Monday Mornings: Volume 2

1. flybigd says:

Does the protein come from the almond flour?

2. Sarah says:

This looks awesome! Thank you!

3. Staci Langford says:

I don’t have allergies to worry about. Can I use regular flour without having to adjust anything?

4. Heather says:

How is the best way to thaw your frozen muffins and egg sandwiches. In the fridge overnight?

Hi Heather-
      Yes, I usually pull them out the day before if at all possible. I’ll defrost in the microwave as a last resort. Thanks!

5. Jesseka says:

I’m in the process of making these right now… the dough is VERY dry… like crumbly dry. Is this right? I followed your directions and substituted coconut flour for the almond flour because that’s what I had on hand.

6. Jesseka says:

FYI… DO NOT USE COCONUT FLOUR!!! So bummed to say they did NOT turn out…. even more bummed that I just wasted almost $8.00 worth of coconut flour and more $ on the rest of the ingredients. :( I’ll try to make them again using almond flour though.

7. Jamie says:

Oh, that’s such a bummer Jesseka! I don’t cook with coconut flour very often so I’m not sure if you need to adjust the amount? If I find out I’ll be sure to come back and post it!

8. Jesseka says:

I looked on the comfy belly blog at their recipe comments and someone else had the same problem with the coconut flour… I probably won’t buy it again (It was around $8.00 for a pound of flour~ a little too steep for me) and kind of hard to find. We only have a dairy allergy in our house so I’ll probably just try the almond flour. Thank you. :)

9. I’m so happy to have found your blog. I am also a lunch packing mom for my daughter who has life threatening food allergies. I blog about her lunches in a section I call “Packed With Love” (hope you cans top by and visit). I am so looking forward to your Monday breakfast ideas, that has to be the meal I struggle with the most.

10. Jana says:

Can you use regular honey instead of the Xylitol? Just wondering if you think it would turn out fine.