Monday Mornings…

In the past few weeks I’ve received several e-mails from readers asking how I handle breakfast during the school year.  Some of you may remember this post or this post in which I talked about how food effects our brains and its ability to function throughout the day.  Before we made the transition to healthier eating I was sending my son out the door having had a bowl (or two) of cereal, milk and a glass of orange juice.  In the past year I’ve done quite a bit of reading about this topic and have transformed the way we do breakfast as a result.

Studies show that children who eat diets rich in fiber and protein perform better in school than those who consume diets low in protein and high in sugar. Not only does protein and fiber take longer to digest than high sugar foods, but they also supply essential amino acids that combine to form proteins that are essential for managing the neurotransmitters in the brain.   So the bowl (or two) of cereal I was feeding my son not only contained at least a day’s worth of sugar, it also had very little protein or fiber to keep him going throughout the school day.   My goal now is to feed my kids a breakfast that will sustain their energy levels and keep their blood sugar stable on a daily basis.

As you can see from the photo below, I’ve been busy preparing foods for the start of the school year which is right around the corner!  Stay tuned to the blog for a “Monday Morning” series where I’ll continue talking breakfast.  In this series I’ll share the recipes I make ahead and freeze which helps school mornings go a little smoother.  Here’s a little preview of what’s to come!

Today’s “Monday Morning” feature is one of my kid’s favorites…the Egg Breakfast Sandwich:

Egg Breakfast Sandwich:

• 1 egg
  • 1 slice cheese
  • 1 English muffin or bagel  (if you are looking for a gluten-free option you might try Udi’s Bagels…they are delicious and you can order on-line!)

Beat one egg, fry egg in preheated fry pan (shape the egg into a circle appx. the same size as your English muffin or bagel), toast muffin or bagel, place egg on top of toasted bread, cover with one slice of cheese.  Wrap each egg sandwich in wax paper or parchment paper and freeze.  Before serving warm egg sandwich in the oven or toaster oven.  (You could probably microwave them, but be VERY careful not to overheat as the egg may explode.  I’ve never tried microwaving one…I’m too nervous to try.)

This entry was posted in Breakfast and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Monday Mornings…

1. Kate says:

Do these sandwiches freeze well? And if so, how would you recommend reheating them?

2. Amy says:

Thanks for sharing your breakfast ideas! Eggs are one of the things that my son will always eat. Have you ever put these sandwiches in your son’s lunch box for reheating later?

3. do you know a way to make pancakes and waffles have more protein? it there a way? i am going to make some of these egg sandwichs and freeze them. muffins look like a good idea too!

• Alison says:

Adding more eggs to a pancake or waffle batter would be a good idea, as long as you adjust the cooking time. Also, ricotta cheese can be a good addition, once again, if you adjust cooking time.
      I have also eliminated the sugar from pancakes and topped them with bacon. Ham or a lowfat protein could also be a good option. (my husband actually *needs* the fat offered by bacon or cheese.)

4. Kim says:

do you use the Udi bagels or make your own?

5. I love your idea of a regular series on breakfast – you’re awesome! My son doesn’t care for eggs or cheese, so I can’t wait to see what you share next. Thank you for all you do, Jamie!

6. Megan L says:

Thank you for adding this segment! I love it!

7. Jamieson says:

Udi’s are great! I know they also carry them at some Whole Foods stores. I look forward to seeing more of the breakfast ideas!!

8. Kimm says:

Hi, love the idea of freezing egg sandwiches…didn’t know you could do that! What is the reddish colored sauce on them???
    THANKS!
    -Kimm

9. Olivia Beaty says:

Do you wrap these completely or just as shown? I would be afraid that they would be freezer burnt.

10. Katie says:

Awesome idea, my son loves these and they are truly one of the best breakfasts you could have:) Thanks for sharing, I will be making these by the dozen! My husband will love them as well…

11. I love this! I can’t wait to see more!! :)
    Thanks!!

12. Nichol Krupp says:

Thanks for all of the great info Jamie. I order tons of stuff and and the kids are so excited. I also just ordered the Go Green Lunch Boxes and cannot wait to get them. I think they are going to rock and they come with the bag which works out perfect for my 7th grader. He got to pick out which one he liked and we ordered it. I also got one for myself to bring to the studio instead of ordering food in. You are the best!

Niki

13. Hi! I just discovered your blog and so far I love it! Finding delicious and nutritious breakfast meals that are also easy and quick has always been a challenge of mine. I can’t wait to check out your Monday Morning series for new ideas!