Mercy…

Last time I shared some books my oldest  son has read and loved so today I thought I’d share a series my youngest son adores…The Mercy Watson series by one of our favorite authors Kate DiCamillo.  This series features a charming little pig named Mercy Watson who can’t get enough hot, buttered toast.  The bright, colorful illustrations along with the funny story lines have definitely captivated my little man and keep him moving from one book to the next.  This is a GREAT series for beginning readers in Kindergarten or 1st grade…I’ve even caught my 3rd grader re-reading these a time or two!

When we found out that the Minneapolis Children’s Theatre was performing “Mercy Watson to the Rescue” we knew we had to take the kids. So tonight we’ll head downtown and watch what I’m sure will be a play filled with hilarious antics by Mercy himself.  If you’re in the Minneapolis area you can reserve tickets with the Children’s Theatre HERE.

In honor of tonight’s Mercy Watson performance I made a pig-themed lunch which includes: ham/cheese pig sandwich, string cheese, pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, strawberries/grapes, two squares of dark chocolate  (the lunch box is the Planet Box lunch box available at Pottery Barn Kids)

One thing I love about the Planet Box is that it comes with lids for the small containers.  I put the sandwich together using butter to adhere the small pieces to the bread and then put the lid on the sandwich.  The nose of the pig was snug up against the lid which will definitely help keep the sandwich in place.  I’m a little worried about the eyes not making it, but oh-well…my son will get the idea.

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Mercy…

1. JuliP says:

LOVE! My mom took my kids to see “Mercy Watson to the Rescue” at the Children’s Theater last weekend. They LOVED it! They got a book signed by the cast. We just got a few of the other books (used) from Amazon. They’ll make great toothfairy gifts!
    I love Kate DiCamille and the illustration in the Mercy series are outstanding!
    We’re also looking forward to the “Wizard of Oz” and “Harold and the Purple Crayon.”
    Gotta love the Children’s Theater!

• JuliP says:

I made my kids a “mercy” sandwich today…..hopefully they are surprised and love it! it will be the first time that they’ll actually eat ham…so cute! thanks for the fun idea.

2. Corey says:

This is adorable! How do you get the sandwich to stay looking like a pig and not a bunch of pig parts by lunch? We have the blue pottery barn bento box you also use so the sandwich would move around in its section. This is so cute i’m making this for my two year old today right after I order those books. Thanks!

Hi Corey- I just added a photo with the lid on the sandwich. I added butter to the ears, eyes and snout. The lid fits so securely that the nose was pressed down by the lid which will definitely help hold things in place. I’m not convinced the eyes will stay put, but the ears weren’t budging when I was trying to move things around.

3. Jaymie says:

We love the Mercy Watson books as well. I love the idea of a Mercy themed lunch. Very cute!

4. julie says:

Thanks for the book suggestion! My husband used to work at the Mpls Children’s Theater… we love it, but now live overseas… so I am going to go online and check it out…. thanks for sharing and we will have to see if we can get the books for our ipad! Thanks

5. Jamieson says:

I love those books… I guess toast with a great deal of butter on it wouldn’t have survived until lunch time!! :)

6. Wendi says:

THANK YOU! My son got these books for his birthday on your recommendation! WE LOVE MERCY!