Monday Mornings…

Today’s “Monday Mornings” post features one of my boys’ all-time favorite breakfast foods…WAFFLES!  Oh, how my boys love waffles.  Prior to our transition to healthier eating I stocked my freezer full of frozen  waffles.  I loved that on busy mornings I could pull them out, pop them in the toaster, lather them in a syrup and the boys gobbled them up in no time at all.  In all honesty, one of the things I was afraid of as we transitioned away from our old eating habits is that I would have to give up convenience breakfasts such as waffles.  This had always been my g0-to breakfast and without frozen waffles I thought surely I would go crazy.  However, as I began to read about exactly what was in those waffles the easier it was to give them up!  You can read a detailed account here, but long story short…they contain partially hydrogenated soybean oil and TBHQ to extend their shelf life.  While many argue that in small doses these foods are safe to consume, I much prefer to look for healthier options for my family.

I found this recipe  and discovered I could have the best of both worlds.  I usually double or triple the recipe and freeze the waffles so we still have the convenience of pulling out frozen waffles in the morning, but these waffles are filled with protein and are void of the chemicals found in most store-bought varieties.

Below is the recipe for Maria’s waffles (posted with permission)
1 cup almond flour
1 cup  whey protein (Jay Robb)
1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
1 TBS aluminum free baking powder
cup vanilla almond milk
2 eggs
4 TBS butter or coconut oil, melted

Preheat waffle iorn to high. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine the wet ingredients in another bowl. Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry. Let sit for 5 minutes. Bake according to your waffle iron directions (I spray my waffle iron with THIS coconut oil spray). Enjoy! Makes 5 servings.

This entry was posted in Breakfast and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Monday Mornings…

1. Shawna says:

Where did you find the tiny waffle maker? Or are those GINORMOUS blueberries??

2. Heather says:

Hey Jamie – I just made a big batch of these for the freezer but had to add a little flour to thicken the batter. They kept falling apart coming out of the waffle iron. I’m going to have to try again. I prefer not to add the flour. Thanks for these great Monday morning posts – I love em’! Have a great week!

3. Abbie says:

I also make extra waffles and freeze them for those time-crunched mornings! They come out great in the toaster and I know what went in them :0)

4. Tangeline says:

I have also tried these waffles but I have been unable to get them out of my waffle makers as well! They stick, even though I thoroughly greased it. The taste is good, but any other suggestions?

5. Jamie says:

I have been looking to purchase a waffle iron to make for the express purpose of getting rid of the store bought frozen waffels in my freezer! What waffle iron do you use? I want to make sure I can reheat them in the toaster.

6. Kara says:

This is really a great idea. I am going to make some to freeze this week. I loved this idea so much, I featured a link to this post on my breakfast freezer meals roundup. Thanks!

7. Bonita says:

Just letting you know that I linked to this recipe on a page I wrote about National Waffle Day. http://www.zujava.com/national-waffle-day