Groundhogs Day…

My boys were up at the crack of dawn this morning to see what Punxsutawney Phil decided about the length of the winter season.  Because we have had less than 14 inches of snow this year compared to the 60+ inches we had last year, the boys were REALLY hoping for a longer winter (complete with snow if at all possible).  They seemed to be putting a lot of hope in the fact that the little groundhog in Philadelphia would declare 6 more weeks of winter so they had more time for winter fun.  We all watched in anticipation this morning and when they announced “6 more weeks of winter” the boys erupted in cheers!  Maybe there is a chance for more snow this year after all!

Today’s “Groundhogs Day” Lunch includes:  peanut butter sandwich (if nut allergies are a concern you might consider using sunbutter), Trader Joe’s chocolate almond for the nose, white American cheese for the cheeks and string cheese for the teeth, cucumbers, peanut butter/chocolate chip mini muffin, Trader Joe’s letter/number cookies, and a homemade fruit roll up all packed in an Easy Lunch Box.  You’ll notice that I did, in fact, manage to find a way to sneak in another heart shape in today’s lunch.

I’m often asked for the recipe for the homemade fruit roll up so here it is (this is from Maria’s web-site HERE)

Combine ingredients in a blender until smooth.  (I have a Blendtec brand blender and use it nearly every day.)
For drying in a dehydrator:  Spread the mixture onto 3 or 4 trays depending on the size of your dehydrator.  (I have THIS dehydrator and I love it because it has a timer and automatic shut off. ) Set the dehydrator to 105 degrees even though though the dehydrator instruction manual says to dry fruit at 140 degrees. Dehydrate for 8-12 hours.  I find that it works much better to dehydrate fruit leather at lower temps for a longer period of time.
For drying in an oven:  Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Pour mixture onto parchment paper and spread evenly until it is about 1/4 of an inch thick. Dehydrate for 4-6 hours at the lowest temperature possible.
This entry was posted in animals, holidays, themed lunches. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Groundhogs Day…

1. MelodyA. says:

Adorable. Mine did not want to wake up but requested that I record it so they could watch it on their own time.

2. karen says:

So cute! And I love that you told how to make the fruit roll-ups. We just dusted off the dehydrator to start using it again!

3. Kelly says:

I’ve been enjoying your lunch box ideas for a while now but have never posted. Thanks so much for the inspiration!! It’s so important to feed our children well and give them the proper fuel they need to get through their active days!! I am always trying to add a special touch to my son’s lunches…. whether it be leaving a special joke or note, or cutting out their sandwiches with a neat cookie cutter. Even though I don’t always have the time to make them look as awesome as you do, I still make sure the boys are getting a balanced, nutritious meal when they are at school. It is so important!! I’m off to check out the different lunch boxes you have noted. Thanks again for such great ideas!

4. Cristi says:

Very clever using the heart shape! Now I miss my food dehydrator too… it burned out some years ago. Funny, when I had a food dehydrator, i had no food processor or blender, so I made my fruit leather with baby food puree – now I have a good bender, but no dehydrator – ha!

5. That groundhog sandwich could not be any cuter! I’m so happy to have come across your blog, Jamie; it’s fantastic, and you have so many inspiring ideas! Thank you for sharing your creative, healthy tips with us!

6. Koogle says:

Your groundhog is adorable!! :)

7. Amy Dawson says:

This is so cute! I love the cute little sandwich :)