Ruh-Roh!

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while you probably remember just how much my youngest son loves dogs.  When he was 7 months old our neighbors had a puppy and whenever we were outside our little man would crawl all the way across our yard, into the neighbors yard, and over to the dog where he would sit and pet and play with him.  Anytime we are out and about and spot a dog he begs to go over and pet the dog.  The funny thing is that dogs seem to love my son right back.  I can’t tell you the number of times we’ve been around dogs and more often than not they clamor toward my son.  My husband and I often joke that he’s like a mini dog whisperer.

For the past few years my husband has been trying to talk me into getting a dog.  I’ve never owned a dog or cat in my life so the thought of bringing a four-legged friend into our home wasn’t something I was all that comfortable with.  It seems I’ve heard story after story of dogs who rip apart the house, eat shoes (oh, how I love shoes!),  and need to be exercised everyday.  The thought of all the possibilities of what could go wrong had me frozen and unwilling to commit!  However, the boys (especially my youngest son) have now joined my husband in begging for a dog.  They have done an incredible amount of research on a breed well suited for our lifestyle, along with reading up on how to train a dog, how to care for a dog, how to keep a dog from eating shoes (they obviously knew that was a big roadblock for me).  As the boys continued to plead their case I felt my defenses going down ever so slightly.

After much thought I decided that having a dog around for my boys to care for and love might not be such a bad idea…especially considering just how much our youngest son loves dogs.  When my husband suggested we travel to go see a litter of puppies just born I knew the battle was pretty much over.  Sure enough about 2 seconds into our meeting with the pups I was sold.   I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves:

Today’s lunch is in celebration of the newest addition to our family who will be coming home in 4 weeks and 6 days (according to my son who is keeping very close track on the calendar)!!  The lunch includes:  peanut butter sandwich, white American cheese with ham accents for the paw print, celery and peanut butter (if nut allergies are a concern you might consider using sunbutter), almond flour chocolate chip cookies, two squares of dark chocolate all packed in a Planet Lunch Box

This entry was posted in animals, General, themed lunches. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Ruh-Roh!

1. natalie says:

What a fun addition this will be to your family :) That little boy is just in love!!! And what a great mommy you are…thank you for the inspiration to be awesome!

2. April S. says:

Oh my, too cute! What kind of dog is he/she? My 2 daughters, 6 & 4, and I had wanted a dog for a long time as well, it was my husband was the reluctant one for many of the same reasons as you, and we finally got an English Springer about 2 months ago and she is such a good dog! Good luck to you, you won’t regret it! :)

3. Stacy says:

You picked a great time to get a dog. Training a puppy in the summer is SO much better than trying to train them in the winter. I’m not going to sugar coat it, the first few weeks can be rough as the puppy gets adjusted to being away from it’s mother and used to your family. The good news is unlike a baby, puppies adapt and sleep through the night very quickly :) I spent time every.single.day for the first 3 months training ours, from walking him around the yard on a leash so he knew the boundaries (we don’t have a fence) to starting with sit and down and off when he’d jump on us, eventually getting him to stay, know the rug he needed to wait on and the kids helped teach him to roll-over. It takes time and patience but training from the start is so worth it to have a well behaved dog that everyone can enjoy. We love our Melvin, he is a part of our family. I love seeing the kids call him so they can curl up with him. Have fun and enjoy him/her, like children they grow quickly :)

4. Annie says:

What breed did you get? A Portuguese water dog?! We have one and they are wonderful family pets (once they get past the puppy stage). I can’t wait to find out what breed

Annie- The dog we selected is an American Brittany. It sounds like this particular breed is a good fit for our family so I’m hoping that proves to be true!!

5. Tammy says:

I love the photos, because after seeing the love those two shared, there was not any way you guys were not getting that puppy:))))))

6. tracie says:

Hi Jamie! I don’t know if you remember me from 2peas years ago (tkradtke). I’m so glad I found your blog! We recently worked with a dietician to revamp my daughters diet to get her through her long nights of ballet. That sparked a deeper look at everything we were eating and not just what we packed her as a snack on dance nights. It’s been a very eye opening journey! I was on the hunt for lunch ideas and I come across so many blogs that are more about the cute rather than the nutrition. I love that yours has both! We have a blog that has all of her packed lunches… but it’s basically for accountability. Putting it out there makes me think a little harder about what I put in her lunches. :-) Again… so glad I found your blog and I can’t wait to read more!