Yesterday we said good-bye to my parents and my sister’s family who all came up to spend the week with us at our cabin up in northern Wisconsin. It was an action packed trip filled with all things “summer”…jet-skiing, swimming, paddle boating, tubing, pontooning, fishing, skiing, you name it!
Between my sister and I we have four growing boys who I knew would work up an appetite each and every day so I did my best to make some filling snacks for them. One of my favorite summertime snacks as a kid were “push-pops”. They were cold and refreshing…a perfect treat after a day of fun in the sun! I attempted a “healthified” version using Maria’s “Shamrock Shake” recipe in various flavors and freezing them in push-pop molds. The boys absolutely LOVED them! (They particularly loved the mint and strawberry flavors.)
Maria’s Healthified Shamrock Shake (made into push-pops)
- 1/2 cup avocado
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or full fat coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup Jay Robb vanilla protein powder
- 2 TBS cream cheese OR coconut cream, softened
- 1 cup crushed ice (I used about 1/2 cup crushed ice since I was freezing them and wanted them to remain creamy frozen)
- 4 TBS erythritol (or Swerve)
- 1 tsp stevia glycerite (omit if using Swerve)
- 1/4 tsp mint extract or about 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves
- OPTION: use a different extract to switch up flavors! (As I mentioned above…the boys seemed to like the mint and strawberry flavors the best)
I hope you’re all enjoying summer break!