I spend an inordinate amount of time in the produce section when I'm grocery shopping. It seems as though I discover a new fruit or vegetable with each and every trip. This time I found some miniature bananas that are just about the cutest fruit I've ever seen! I brought them home and the boys went bananas (hardy-har-har) over them!! They have BEGGED to have one every day since I brought them home. What a delight...to have my boys begging to eat fruit. Today I decided to turn one of the mini bananas into an extra special treat by dipping it in a melted Chocoperfection bar (you can find these sugar-free bars on Amazon or Netrition).
In today's lunch I also included a homemade protein bar filled with all kinds of yummy goodness. It's a recipe I adapted from this site.
No-Bake Protein Bars
2 cups of uncooked, fast-cooking oatmeal
cup natural peanut butter OR almond butter OR sunbutter
2 scoops of protein powder (I use Jay Robb Vanilla protein powder which you can buy on-line at Netrition, Amazon or at some vitamin stores)
1 Tbsp. ground flaxseeds (I use golden flaxseeds and grind them in my Blendtec blender...purchased at Costco)
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
Optional mix-in ideas: sugar-free chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc...
- In a large bowl, knead all the ingredients together until mixed well.
- Line a square 8-inch pan with wax paper (IMPORTANT) and press the dough into it using your fingers.
- Freeze for 30 minutes. Remove and cut into 8 squares.
- OPTIONAL: Drizzle with melted chocolate (I did this on half the batch and left the other half plain)
- Wrap individually, and refreeze or store in the refrigerator. (I freeze mine and pull them out as needed)