With all the rain we've had around here we're seeing more and more frogs in our neck of the woods. The boys love chasing them around and I'm just waiting for one of them to bring one in the house asking if we can keep it as a pet. FYI, the answer to that question would most certainly be NO...sorry, boys! Anyway, I thought my son would get a kick out of seeing a little froggy friend in his lunch box today. I made the frog out of a spinach roll up by cutting one big circle for the body, two small circles for the eyes, two tear drop shapes for the legs, and the feet were cut using just one corner of a leaf cookie cutter.
Today's frog-themed includes: turkey, cheese, spinach sandwich on a spinach wrap, oranges, carrots, almond flour cookie (recipe below)
Sidenote: After I snapped the photo, I stuck toothpicks in various spots on the sandwich to hold it together or there was no way my little froggy friend would have survived until lunch! :)
I tucked this little note (found at this little store on Etsy) in with his lunch as a little reminder:
Almond Flour Cookies:
Recipe adapted fromwww.comfybelly.com
- 2 1/2 cups of blanched almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 8 tablespoons of butter; softened but not melted (if you want the cookies a little chewier add 1-2 TBS additional butter)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 1/2 cup of honey (I use sugar-free honey from Nature's Hollow)
- 1 cup of chocolate chips (I usesugar-free chocolate chips)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and blend well.
- Add the wet ingredients and blend well again.
- Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper, and drop a spoon full of cookie dough on the parchment paper, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until they start to brown on the edges.*I store these in tupperware containers in my freezer and pull them out as needed.